Private bus operators, including inter-regional and charter bus services
Long distance bus travel such as inter-regional bus services or charter buses (which includes buses hired for group travel and tour buses) are not currently restricted under the COVID-19 Public Health Orders. However, bus companies need to provide a safe environment for their customers and staff.
COVID Safe recommendations for passengers and bus operators
- Use physical distancing when travelling and seated on services
- Anyone that is unwell or has COVID-19 symptoms should not travel
- Take extra care around vulnerable people
- Practise good hygiene.
Bus operators should also
- Provide hand sanitiser
- Clean surfaces thoroughly particularly all high contact areas such as doors, handles and toilets
- Maintain a record of customers and their seating allocation using a QR app or similar measure
- Have signage on board services to remind everyone of their responsibility to keep each other safe
- Encourage passengers, drivers and staff to wear a face mask, particularly if physical distancing cannot be maintained.
Bus companies like other businesses should have a COVID-19 Safety Plan that addresses how they will protect their staff and customers.
27 August 2020